SHAWNEE - Dean Green and Michael Walker made sure Miami's stay in the Class 4A state baseball tournament was a brief one.

Green struck out 10, walked one and allowed only one hit and Walker added a near perfect sixth inning as Berryhill cruised to a 10-0 run-rule victory over the Wardogs in a first-round game that didn't end until 11:55 p.m. here Thursday night.

“The kids had a hard time picking up Green's release point,” Miami coach Chris Mercer said. “The scouting report was that they would at that time of night and we didn't adjust very well. We had a hard time picking up the ball. He got on us quick and we just didn't do a very good job with it.

“It comes out of nowhere and jumps out at you.”

The Wardogs, making their first trip to the state tournament since 2002, had only one hit - a third-inning single up the middle by DH Nick Jones.

Their only other baserunners came in the first on a full-count walk to Grant Longcrier and in the sixth when Jesse Henson led off the inning by reaching on an error.

Green retired the last seven batters he faced.

“I thought we took some good swings and fouled some balls off and thought maybe ‘here we go,' but then he'd get a good strike 3 pitch,” Mercer said.

The game, originally scheduled for 7 p.m. at Ed Skelton Field, didn't get under way until 9:45 p.m. because of - surprise - several rain delays.

Rain has followed the Wardogs throughout the post-season. Their regional didn't finish up until Sunday because of the weather, then it looked like Thursday's first-round action here might have to be pushed back.

“The kids fought hard to get us to this point,” Mercer said. “I wish we could have played better once we got here, but it happens. It was a good experience. It's the first time any of these kids have been to the state tournament, so now they know what it's like.”

By comparison, this marks the fourth straight state tournament appearance for the Chiefs.

The teams battled to a scoreless and near perfect draw through the first three innings.

Green struck out seven of the first 10 batters he faced while Brett Abell had five strikeouts and yielded no hits.

Berryhill finally broke through in the bottom of the fourth, scoring three times.

Abell yielded a walk to Green and a single to Cory Haynes before hitting Dillon Haynes.

Tyler Brown grounded out, driving in the first run, then Michael Walker singled home two runs with a hit to right field.

The Chiefs broke the game open with a six-run fifth.

Walker again had a two-run single while Walker Davidson also drove in two with a single to right.

Berryhill also got a run on Miami's only error of the night - an overthrow to third by Abell on an attempt to get a force on a bunt by Dillon Haynes.

And the Chiefs added another marker on a double steal.

The run rule kicked in during the sixth, when pinch hitter John Rice drew a one-out walk from reliever Nick Henson, stole second and scored on a single by Walker.

“Brett got tired,” Mercer said. “He came off the 15 innings during regionals and it showed. They put some pressure on us. He put some runners on and we had the miscue on the bunt.

“For only having three hits at the time and five runs, it was strange looking up at the scoreboard and trying to figure how they got those runs so quick,” he said.

Walker finished with three singles and four RBIs for the Chiefs.