Charges have been dismissed against the wife of a former Delaware County sheriff, according to District Attorney Eddie Wyant.

Candyce Annette Woodruff, 43, was charged with shooting with intent to kill her husband, Lenden Woodruff, on the evening of June 17.

“Mrs. Woodruff has been incarcerated in the Delaware County Jail since the shooting with bond set at $250,000, Wyant said. “Mr. Woodruff was released from the hospital a few weeks ago but has refused several requests by law enforcement to provide a statement as to the facts surrounding the shooting.

Authorities were called to the couple's Colcord home at 5:12 p.m. after receiving a 911 call from Candyce Woodruff stating her husband had shot himself.

Upon arrival, deputies found 50-year-old Lenden Woodruff had been shot twice in the chest, according to the incident report. At the time, Lenden Woodruff told authorities that his wife was the shooter.

A .22-caliber handgun was found about a foot away from where Lenden Woodruff lay on the couch, Deputy Steve Kendrick reported.

Wyant said Mike Eason, an investigator with the district attorney's office, has provided him with a report stating that Lenden Woodruff told him that the shooting was accidental.

“As the district attorney's office must rely on the evidence obtained from each crime in order to make the appropriate prosecutorial decisions, the only evidence we have at this time are the witnesses who claim that Mrs. Woodruff admitted to shooting Mr. Woodruff and Mr. Woodruff making a statement that the shooting was accidental, Wyant said. “Therefore, I do not believe the State of Oklahoma should proceed any longer with the current charges against Mrs. Woodruff.

Jessica Brown, media spokesperson for the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation, said police reports confirmed that the sheriff's department had been called to the couple's home earlier in the day on a report of a domestic disturbance.

Kendrick responded to the first call, according to police reports, when Candyce Woodruff complained that Lenden Woodruff had been drinking, yelling and had slapped her in the face.

There were no physical marks present on Candyce Woodruff, according to Kendrick's reports.

The investigation indicated that Kendrick offered Candyce Woodruff $20, and Deputy Randy Osburn volunteered to chip in $10 to help the woman leave and go to her mother's home in Claremore.

She refused the offer of help, according to police reports.