More than $900 in cash will be distributed Saturday in a karaoke contest to be held in downtown Miami.
Miami Main Street Inc., is sponsoring the event along with CableOne, the Modoc Tribe and the Miami News-Record.
“We are excited to bring this event back to downtown Miami,” said Mark Rogers, a member of the Miami Main Street Promotions Committee and an organizer of the weekend event.
The flood of July 2007 forced organizers to cancel last year's event, breaking the tradition of summer karaoke on Main Street.
This year's event will take place on the First National Bank parking lot and will include competitive divisions for children 6 and under, young people between the ages of 7 and 12 and an adult competition for singers age 13 and older.
Winners in the children's divisions will be receive $100, $50 and $25 for first, second and third place winners respectively.
Adult winners will be awarded $300 for first place, $200 for second place and $100 for third place achievements.
All winners will receive a trophy.
On Friday, everyone is welcome to step up to the open microphone to display their musical abilities in a non-competitive forum.
The stage will open to the public and a professional DJ will invite singers to belt out their favorites at 7 p.m.
Applications for Saturday's competition will be available at that time.
There is no fee to enter, but the competition is limited to 25 adult and 15 chid contestants.
“We encourage everyone to bring their lawn chairs and enjoy an evening of music on Main Street,” Rogers said. “It is a nice preview of local talent - some of which you will likely see on the competitive stage the next morning.”
Saturday's competition will begin at 9 a.m.
In the event that competitive positions are not filled, applications will be available between 8 and 9 a.m. Saturday.
For more information, contact Linda Nott at 542-0953.