The Oklahoma Pardon and Parole Board has recommended the release of a Welch woman convicted, along with her brother, in the murder of their father, stepmother and infant sister 20 years ago.

Holly G. Wingfield, now 37, has been incarcerated since she was 16 years old, after her family was found dead in a ravine behind their rural Welch home.

She was sentenced to life in prison in 1988 for aiding and abetting in the first-degree murder of 18-month-old Crete Wingfield.

Her brother, Ty Wingfield, received three life sentences after being convicted of the first-degree murder of Kenneth Clinton Wingfield, Louise Wingfield and the toddler.

At the time of the murder, Ty Wingfield was 18 years old and Holly Wingfield was just two years his junior.

The Wingfield's including 43-year-old Clint, his wife, Louise, 36, their young daughter and Clint Wingfield's children, Ty and Holly, moved to the Welch area from northeast Texas just months before the murder.

Court documents indicate that the teenage siblings had a history of drug and alcohol abuse and psychological problems generally related to the suicide of their mother eight years earlier.

The murder, according to court documents

On the morning of Aug. 23, 1987, Clint and Louise Wingfield left their home to attend church, taking their toddler daughter with them.

While the Wingfield's were away, the teenage brother and sister duo drove a family car to Miami in search of valium and alcohol.

Reports indicate that their search was successful, allowing Ty Wingfield to consume 23 valium pills and the majority of a six-pack of beer.

Holly Wingfield took two valium pills and consumed three beers. The night before, Ty had also taken 50 Valium pills, injected several doses of Methamphetamine into his body and smoked large quantities of marihuana, according to court records.

Also on Sunday morning, Ty Wingfield noticed that his parents had locked the telephone in their room so that it could not be used. He became enraged and kicked in the door.

When Clint Wingfield and his wife and daughter returned home an argument ensued about the door.

Ty Wingfield explained that he broke the door so that his sister could use the phone.

During this argument, Ty Wingfield obtained a rifle from the hall closet and confronted his father after reportedly declaring that he would not undergo drug rehabilitation.

Court records indicate that Ty Wingfield then shot his father then, shortly after, shot his stepmother

Thirty minutes later, as his sister was getting Crete something to drink in the kitchen, Ty Wingfield called for Crete. Holly told Crete to “go to Ty.” As the toddler approached her older brother, Ty Wingfield shot and killed her.

Holly Wingfield placed her sister's body in a plastic bag and helped Ty place the three bodies in the family pickup truck and Ty Wingfield drove the the bodies to the ravine.

When Ty Wingfield returned, the two fled to Texas where they were subsequently arrested.

Contemplating life

on the outside

Upon the signature of Gov. Brad Henry, Holly Wingfield could be free to begin life outside the confines of prison in a few short weeks.

She maintains today that she is not responsible for the death of her father, stepmother or 18-month-old half sister.

Holly says she has done a lot of growing - physically, mentally and spiritually - and she is ready to rejoin society.

“I recall very little about that time in my life,” Holly Wingfield said, speaking of her days in Welch prior to the murder. “It was such a brief period of my life.”

She has no plans to return to northeast Oklahoma.

“There is no one and nothing for me there but bad memories,” she said. “Memories I have tried hard to erase.”

As far as adjusting to the world today, Holly Wingfield said she's ready to face the challenge.

“I know things have changed in 20 years, but I think I can adjust to those changes quickly,” she said. “I'm just ready to get on with my life.”

Holly's brother is not scheduled to sit before the parole board until 2048.