A former Ottawa County resident was sentenced to 10 years in prison Monday for raping a 13-year-old Missouri girl.

Acrive B. Edgar, 22, pleaded guilty to first-degree statutory rape in Jasper County after making a deal with the prosecutor's office to reduce the charges of forcible rape and forcible sodomy.

According to the probable cause statement of Feb. 18, 2006, the victim and a 12-year-old boy left the girl's Carthage, Mo., home with Edgar, a family acquaintance, believing they were going to a convenience store.

Instead, Edgar drove to a house in Webb City, Mo., where he ordered the young boy out of the car. The victim said she attempted to get out of the car, but Edgar grabbed her around the neck, pulled her back in the car and drove off, according to court documents.

The girl told authorities that, en route to Joplin, Edgar ordered her to remove her clothes. She said when she refused he threatened to hit her so she removed her shirt.

On North Main Street, near Veterans Way in Joplin, Edgar lost control of the vehicle and ran into a ditch. He then dragged the girl from the vehicle with no shirt and no shoes on to a drainage ditch beneath a railroad track.

The girl told authorities Edgar forced her onto her back in ice cold water while he raped her and forced her to perform oral sex on him.

The teenager was able to flee the scene after several hours when Edgar left to look for another vehicle to steal, according to court records.

A 29-year-old motorist said he drove past the girl, who was partially clothed and waiving her arms, then turned around and picked her up.

“Nobody would stop for her, it was 10 degrees out, said Bryan William, the motorist from Webb City. “When I turned around, I realized the girl was not wearing any shoes or socks.

Williams said the victim told him she has been sexually assaulted and needed a ride to Carthage.

“I told the girl she had only one choice and that was to go to the Joplin police station, Williams said.

Authorities say she was taken by ambulance from the Joplin Police Department to a local hospital where she was treated for hypothermia and injuries she suffered during the assault.