MIAMI – After previously being found mentally competent by psychiatric observation, evaluation and examination, Andrew Douglas Jones, 41, of Jenks, will now stand to face a jury trial for murder in the first degree in Ottawa County District Court.

Jones is the defendant in the case of the Dec. 5, 2016, brutal stabbing death of 35-year-old John Leslie Woods.

On Nov. 13 Jones appeared in court with his OIDS public defense attorney Greg Graves. Witnesses were sworn, testimony was heard, exhibits entered, and arguments of counsel were heard before the Ottawa County District Court Judge who ruled that probable cause was found to believe that the crime of murder in the first degree was committed by Jones.

Jones is now set to appear in Ottawa County District Court for arraignment at 10:30 a.m. on Dec. 1 before Judge Robert Haney.

Jones was remanded to custody in the Ottawa County Jail.

According to the probable cause statement filed in the case, Miami Police officers responded to a 911 call at a residence at 2802 P Street NW in Miami, a drug and alcohol treatment halfway house, and discovered Woods lying in a pool of blood. Two witnesses, residents Mateo Rocha and James Thompson, told officers that Jones had been drinking vodka and Jones and Woods argued. Woods told Jones to leave the residence and pushed him toward the door.

Witnesses told an OSBI investigator, Jones left and then re-entered the residence, ran towards Woods and stabbed him in the chest with a knife. Woods fell to the floor, and Jones said, “You're going to die,” and slashed Woods' throat.

The two witnesses, who also lived in the residence, attempted to disarm Jones, but he broke free still holding the knife, as Woods was lying on the floor bleeding and unable to defend himself. Jones then stabbed Woods multiple times who still managed to attempt to get up, according to the witnesses.

Jones then said to Woods, “You're dying,” and Woods fell back onto the floor.

Emergency responders transported Woods by ambulance to Miami Integris Hospital, and he was then flown by helicopter to Freeman Hospital in Joplin, Missouri, where he was pronounced dead.

Melinda Stotts is the associate editor of the Miami News-Record. She can be emailed at or followed on Twitter @MelindaStotts1.