Faulty electric is being blamed for a Monday night fire that destroyed a portion of of the Church of Christ sanctuary at 124 B St. NW.

According to Miami Fire Chief Kevin Trease, an electrician was notified earlier Monday regarding a breaker box in the church that had “tripped.”

“They had called an electrician but he didn't make it there yesterday to check out a possible electrical problem,” Trease said.

According to the fire report, firefighters responded to the church at approximately 10 p.m. and found heavy smoke coming from the building.

After gaining entry through the west doors, firefighters discovered fire in the upstairs northwest corner and balcony.

Trease said the fire started in the nursery and spread to the sanctuary ceiling where it was contained, he said.

“We were on the scene about three hours,” said Trease.

While at least three-fourths of the sanctuary was destroyed, church services are expected to resume Sunday.

“I believe they will be holding services in the new assembly hall,” Trease said.

Preliminary damages to the structure are around $250,000.