Caleb Potter tried to treat it like any other kick.

Maybe it was, but his extra point following an 11-yard touchdown strike from Sawyer Pooler to Rusty Reece gave Miami a 14-13 overtime victory over Claremore.

"I lined up the same, went through all my motions just the same," Potter said. "I always get into a zone ... just try to focus and look at the ball. It took a lot of strength from the linemen.

"It was kind of a wobbly snap but Cheatham (holder Jacob Cheatham) blocked it down and got it set up."

Potter boomed the kick through, setting off a huge celebration at Robertson Field.

"That was just what the doctor ordered," Miami head coach Rick Woods said. "We all were so disappointed after last week. We played with great effort and we found a way to play smart."

The win was the first for the Wardogs in overtime since 2008, when they upset Tulsa East Central 35-29 in the first round of the Class 5A playoffs.

It also was Miami's first single-point victory since a 21-20 overtime decision against Grove in 2001.

The win also leaves Miami at 1-1 on the season at this point for the first time since 2008 when it opened with a loss at Wagoner then beat Jay.

It was in 2008 when the Dogs started 1-3 then went on a five-game winning streak that got them into the 5A playoffs.

"We sucked it up when we needed to ... we kept our minds on the task that needed to be done," Potter said. "We picked it up in the second half, for sure."

Miami forged a 7-7 tie when Potter teamed with Kyle Jolley for a 17-yard TD with 6:07 left in the game.

The Dogs had reached the Claremore 7-yard line then were flagged for a false start on consecutive snaps.

The touchdown pass came on a third-and-13 call, then Potter tacked on the extra point.

Derek Martin recovered Potter's onside kick at the Claremore 40, but MHS couldn't cash in.

The teams then played it close to the vest for the final four minutes, opting for overtime.

Claremore, lining up in a full house backfield, scored on the first play of the extra period when Jordan Cunningham blew up the middle for a 10-yard touchdown.

Gabe Mesinger's extra point kick squibbed wide left, giving the Wardogs a glimmer of hope.

"That was just a combination of blown assignment and a missed tackle," Woods said. "I think we were in the right place, we just didn't get it done. A stunt was called and we didn't execute like we needed to."

Jolley was dropped for a yard loss by defensive end Dylan Foxworth on first down.

On the second play (one that had been installed in practice just this week), Pooler rolled right and found Reece open in the end zone. Reece beat a pair of Claremore defenders to make the catch - bringing on the celebration as the Dogs posted their first victory in the series since 1991.

It narrowed the Zebras' lead to 33-30-1.

"Our special teams got us beat tonight," Claremore head coach Rob Gilbreath said. "We let them down the ball on the 1-yard line once, let them get an onside kick on us, missed the extra point in the overtime. It was just a poor display of special teams play.

"They had the mistakes last week and we had them this week."

The Wardogs had turned the ball over four times, including twice deep in Grove territory in the fourth quarter, during a 21-7 loss in last week's season opener.

Claremore drew first blood in the defensive-minded skirmish.

The Zebras drove 80 yards in 11 plays, with tailback Chase Talbert bulling in from the 1.

Mesinger's PAT kick was good, leaving the visitors with a 7-0 lead with 2:41 until intermission.

It was a case of "what might have been" for the Wardogs: Talbert was about to be downed in the backfield on a fourth-and-1 play but wiggled loose, shook two tackles and wound up gaining 25 yards to set up the touchdown.

Jolley's TD catch ended a string of seven-plus quarters of scoreless football for the Wardog offense.

The only points in the loss at Grove came on a fake field goal.

An interception by linebacker Dakota Harwood at the Claremore 37-yard line set up the scoring drive.

As was the case in against Grove, the Dogs had numerous chances against Claremore, but were unable to finish off.

The first series of the night went from the MHS 19 to the Claremore3 40, but Pooler was sacked by defensive end Grady Caton and the drive fizzled.

Early in the second quarter, Miami reached the Zebra 7, but shifted into reverse as Jolley was nailed for a yard loss, then Pooler was sacked by linebacker Brenton Washousen for a 9-yard loss.

Potter came on for a field goal try, but just like at Grove, Cheatham took the snap and lobbed a pass to Reece, but this time the play netted only 3 yards.

Claremore had consecutive drives falter at the Wardog 18 and 35 before finally getting the touchdown from a leaping Talbert.

The Zebras crossed midfield only once in the second half.

"Defensively we played a lot better tonight," Woods said. "We got our offense on the field. We had worked hard on the red zone and it paid off."

Miami finished with only 185 yards in total offense, with 102 of that coming on passing.

Jolley finished with 77 yards on 26 attempts.

Talbert had a game-high 125 yards on 23 carries.

Both he and Chris Czsinski hobbled off the field with ankle injuries, Czsinski needing crutches.

"We will have to evaluate the injuries," Galbreath said.

Miami's Hunter Julian suffered a minor concussion late in the third quarter and was transported to Integris Baptist Regional as a precautionary measure.

Woods said he was back at the dressing room following the game and didn't show any major symptoms.