FAIRLAND — A big second half helped carry Fairland get its first win of the 2017 season.

The Owls scored twice each in the third and fourth quarters and coasted to a 35-14 victory over Ketchum here Friday, Sept. 8.

“The first half was kinda like the way we’ve started every first half, sluggish and not getting a whole lot accomplished, but at halftime we challenged them,” Fairland head coach Kent Marshall said. “They hooked up and got after it a little bit. I was proud of their effort and proud of the assistant coaches. They made some good adjustments in different things.

“We just couldn’t be happier now.”

Ketchum was up 8-6 after the opening frame then the Warriors got a touchdown in the second quarter to open up a 14-6 lead at the half.

Fairland opened up a 22-14 lead in the third quarter then scored two times in the fourth.

“The kids were really excited,” Marshall said. “I think a lot of it, too, is we had preached to them about doing it this way and they saw two different halves. They saw a half where they still wanted to revert back and do things their way, then they saw how things would go doing it the way we asked them to.

“At some point, if they will realize that if do this for four quarters, we’ve got a good opportunity to win some ballgames.”

Charles Reed ran for 184 yards and two touchdowns on 18 carries.

Michael Foust chipped in with 68 yards and a score while getting the call 12 times.

He also had a fumble recovery for a touchdown.

Riley Powell, subbing at quarterback for Jose Garcia, who was nursing an ankle injury, was 4-of-8 passing for 46 yards, one touchdown and a conversion.

Andrew Barker was on the receiving end of all four of Powell’s completions and the conversion.

“At least we were able to get a win and that allowed him (Garcia) to heal up a little bit,” Marshall said.

Jimmy Handrich headed up the FHS defense, logging eight tackles and a sack.

Fairland (1-2) hosts Oklahoma Union Friday, Sept. 15.

The Cougars dropped to 2-1 with a 54-14 loss at Barnsdall.