For 17 years, Amanda Davis has prayed daily for justice in the stabbing death of her older sister, Jennifer Judd.

"It's been such a long time," Davis said. "I want to see the killer brought to trial."

Judd was a 20-year-old newlywed when she was stabbed to death May 11, 1992. She had married her high school sweetheart, Justin, nine days earlier.

Monday marked the 17th anniversary of her death.

"Jennifer wasn't there when I graduated, when I got married or when I had my son," Davis said. "She never got to do the normal things women get to do. She never had a child; she didn't even get to celebrate one anniversary."

The crime

The Judds were married May 2, 1992. They started dating when they were 15 and 16. Jennifer Bryan graduated from Picher High School in 1990 and Justin Judd from Quapaw High School in 1989.

They had decided to live in Baxter Springs, Kan., seven miles from Picher along the Spring River.

"It was a way of being on our own, but still close enough to our families," Justin Judd said.

On the day of her death, his new wife was involved with post-wedding activities. Thank-you cards for wedding gifts were yet to be sent out, and there was the matter of getting her wedding dress to the cleaners.

She died at the couple's duplex sometime before noon while her husband was at work.

Investigators said Judd died from multiple stab wounds to the chest. Her body was found in the kitchen. She was not bound and there was no evidence of sexual assault.

Judd's attacker was very strong, her husband said.

"The knife handle had broken off during (the assault) and it wasn't at the house, and it was never located," he said.

Judd had minor defensive wounds to her hands, authorities said.

Justin Judd left home about 6:30 a.m. for his job in Riverton, Kan., about five miles away.

"I had woke up late that morning and forgot my lunch, so I called her around 8:30 or 9 a.m. so she could bring me my lunch," he said.

She never showed up.

Justin Judd got off work about 2:30 and found his wife's body about 2:45 p.m. His sack lunch was in the front seat of her car.

Justice for Jennifer

Judd's case was the first for the Kansas Bureau of Investigation cold-case squad. They took it in 1999.

Family members think Judd was being stalked.

After the slaying, Justin Judd said, he heard that before his wife's death someone had been pounding on their front door and trying to get in, making Jennifer so frightened that she hid behind a couch.

Judd thinks someone was infatuated with his wife and the wedding sent him into a jealous rage.

A suspect

Gary Allen, former Baxter Springs police chief and now a Cherokee County, Kan., sheriff's chief deputy, said a friend of Justin Judd is a suspect. He was questioned but never arrested.

The man was with Justin Judd when they found the body.

Allen said the suspect wasn't charged because evidence taken at the crime scene didn't link him positively to the slaying.

Justin Judd was cleared of any involvement, Allen said. He now lives in Wichita, Kan., and has remarried and divorced. He is the father of a 12-year-old boy and a 2-year-old girl.

"I have a whole new sense of what her (Jennifer's) father went through," Judd said. "I can't imagine what it was like for him."

Anyone with information on Jennifer Bryan Judd's death should contact the Cherokee County Sheriff's Department at (620) 429-3992 or the Kansas Bureau of Investigation at (785) 296-8200.