An early morning chase ended in the arrest of an armed Missouri man suspected in a number of area burglaries.

Mathew Helm, 28, of Willard, Mo., was taken into custody around 5:30 a.m., Wednesday, after attempting to elude officers.

Deputy Tyson Barnes attempted to make a routine traffic stop on a black Chevy pickup at approximately 5:14 a.m. in a parking lot on Steve Owens Boulevard.

As Deputy Barnes approached the truck, Helm drove off, nearly colliding with another vehicle traveling on Steve Owens.

Officers pursued Helm east of town and south on 600 Road.

“I followed the vehicle into a resident’s driveway on South 600 Road,” said Barnes. “The vehicle went through a barb wire fence and continued to travel into a field. The vehicle then turned off its lights.”

Authorities walked the tire tracks through wheat fields, where they located the vehicle about one mile into the field.

“The vehicle had driven through several barb wire fences,” said Barnes.

Helm was located hiding in a patch of grass in the field.

While taking inventory of Helm’s vehicle, authorities located a .22 caliber handgun that was chamber loaded, a police scanner, three plastic bags containing marijuana, several unidentified pills.

Dispatch advised authorities that the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) advised Helm was considered “violent.” The history summary showed 14 arrests and 13 convictions for theft, forgery, burglary, possession of controlled substance and check kiting.

“This was an excellent piece of police work by Deputy Tyson Barnes,” said Undersheriff Bob Ernst. “This is a great arrest and the citizens will be safer with this person off the street,” said Ernst.

Helm was booked into Ottawa County Jail on eight counts stemming from Wednesday’s chase.

Detective Matt Redden along with a drug enforcement agent with the Bureau of Indian Affairs went to a local casino motel where Helm was staying with his significant other.

There, they recovered a fairly significant amount of Methamphetamine, Marihuana and paraphernalia.

“These guys did an awesome job on this case,” said Ernst.

Bond was set at $202,000.

A second party has not been taken into custody, as the investigation continues.