The heavy machinery is out on South Main Street in Miami.

The city’s street department began reconstruction of the road for two blocks south of Central and Main Street on Monday.

"We expect it will take approximately three weeks to complete, but that’s pushing it," said Joe Waldon, street superintendent. "I also have to tell people ‘weather permitting.’ If we get a lot of rain we’ll be at this longer."

The whole street department, composed of 13 members, will be working on the reconstruction.

The city will be digging down 24 to 30 inches.

A challenge to the roadwork will be removing the trolley tracks that had been buried and remained under the surface.

"Taking them out is going to slow us down, but it’s got to be done," Waldon said.

The sidewalks have already been completed.

The public is advised to use A Streets north and south to avoid the roadwork.