A Miami High School student has been arrested for his alleged role a drug overdose incident reported this week.
Local law enforcement officials took a student into custody after he admitted to authorities that he brought his prescribed medications to school and given them to another student.
According to police reports, two high school students were taken to a hospital Wednesday after school officials found one student unconscious and another “very lethargic” in the boy's bathroom.
The students were treated in the emergency room for a drug overdose, according to officials. One was released later that day.
The second student, reported to be in more serious condition, was placed on a ventilator for a short time, according to authorities. Local officials said Thursday that he was recovering and would likely be dismissed from the hospital later that day.
A witness told school officials that he had been given a small clear baggie containing several pills.
“According to school officials, the witness threw the bag of pills in a trash can in the boy's bathroom,” said school resource officer Joey Williams.
Principal Mike Reece located a plastic bag in a trash can in the boy's bathroom that contained two trazodone pills, two and a half clozapine pills, three neurontin capsules and one ritalin pill.
“Later in the day, Reece also discovered a single blue pill, later identified as hydrocodine, in the bottom of the trash can,” Williams said.
The suspect's mother told authorities the medication was prescribed to her son and was the same medication he took on a daily basis, Williams said.
The suspect admitted to authorities that he had given the medication to another student. He also stated that he had seen one of the male students with several of the same type pills in the boy's bathroom earlier that morning.
The suspect was released to his mother's custody.
School officials say disciplinary action was taken in accordance with the student handbook.