Four Miami families were left homeless Sunday, after a fire roared through the Terrace Apartments at 306 13th Ave. N.E.

According to Miami Fire Chief Kevin Trease, firefighters responded to the scene at 3:30 p.m. Upon arrival firefighters found the west side of the two-story apartment building engulfed in flames.

“The fire had gotten into the attic area and vented through the roof,” said Captain Robert Wright.

Wright said the origin of the fire appeared to be near a space heater in an unoccupied apartment.

“I believe there are 12 apartments in that particular building,” Trease said. “The three apartments on the second floor of the west side had fire damage. The three below them had smoke and water damage.”

The local American Red Cross was on the scene to assist families within an hour of the fire, according to Trease.

“We are going to go in and see what damage, if any, was done to the six apartments on the east side of the building, which are all unoccupied, and get them repaired so these families can get into those apartments as soon as possible,” Trease said.

Trease said no one was injured in the fire. Firefighters spent about four hours extinguishing the blaze.