A 42-year-old Miami man died early today in what authorities said was an accidental cooking fire.

Miami firefighters found the body of Greg Pesek shortly after 2 a.m. today when they entered his F Street SE home.

Miami Fire Chief Kevin Trease said firefighters were called to the scene at 1:58 a.m. after a 911 caller reported smoke coming from the wood-frame residence.

Officials believe Pesek died from smoke inhalation, but there has been no formal ruling of death at this time, according to Trease.

The fire started in the kitchen, the only room in the home that sustained significant fire damage, according to Trease.

“Right now, we are calling it an accidental cooking fire, Trease said. “It looks like a pan was left on the stove. It caught on fire and caught the rest of the kitchen on fire.

Trease said the fire was contained in the kitchen and the remainder of the home received extensive smoke damage.

Firefighters made entry into the home through the living room where they found Pesek's body.

Trease said it is not known if Pesek was sleeping in the living room or if he was attempting to leave the home when he was overcome by smoke.

Pesek lived alone and there were no other injuries reported.

Terry Ferrel of the state fire marshal's office is currently investigating the fatal fire.

Pesek's death is the first fire-related fatality in Miami this year.

“There were no smoke detectors in the house, Trease said. “In this case, they would have saved his life.