Check out our quick list of local events and entertainment for this Memorial Day weekend.
1. The Loony Saloon inside The Stables Casino, 530 H St. SE in Miami, continues a special comedy roundup Friday and Saturday with 'Lady Champ' the 2nd annual Funniest Female Contest. $5 cover for the Friday night semi-finals and $10 cover for the Saturday battle royale. Show starts at 8 p.m. both nights. Visit https://tickets.the-stables.com for tickets or pay at the door.
2. It’s not officially summer, but it is pool season. If the weather cooperates this weekend, head to the public pool for some fun in the sun. The Miami Municipal opens this Saturday, May 26 in Riverview Park. The pool is open Tuesday-Sunday from 1 p.m. to 7 p.m. Single day admissions are $4 for adults (14 & Up) and $3 for children (13 & Under). Season passes are also available. For more information visit MiamiOkla.net or call 918-542-6685.
3. The Fairland Strategic Planning Foundation has brought back Fairland Days, a full day packed with fun activities, vendors, contests and more along Main Street. This is also where you'll find the Fairland Farmers Market this Saturday only. Fun begins bright and early at 7 a.m. Saturday, May 26. Check out the event page here for more details and see the posted schedule in the photo carousel above.
4. In theaters this weekend is Star Wars prequel, “Solo: A Star Wars Story,” a stand-alone installment starring Alden Ehrenreich as Han Solo. Set prior to the events of "A New Hope," the film shows how a young Solo met his copilot Chewbacca and Lando Calrissian years before joining the Rebellion. Cast also includes Donald Glover, Woody Harrelson, Emilia Clarke and Thandie Newton.(PG-13 for sci-fi action/violence.)
5. This year marks the 150th Anniversary of Memorial Day, that originally was known as Decoration Day. Monday, May 28, the City of Miami G.A.R. Cemetery will host a public Sesquicentennial Memorial Day Ceremony at 9 a.m. at the G.A.R. Monument followed by refreshments and fellowship provided by Brown-Winters Funeral Home at the gazebo. Guest speaker this year in Miami News-Record associate editor Melinda Stotts sharing the service and life story of local WWII U.S. Navy Veteran Glenn Pitts. for more information call G.A.R. Cemetery at 918-541-2288.
WEEKEND ENTERTAINMENT SCHEDULE
Bordertown Casino & Arena
Indiglo 80's Night
Bobby D Band
BTCA/ABBI Heifer Futurity, Non-Winner Futurity & Derby
No Current Listings
Cherokee Casino Grove
DJ 2 Legit
Harley Hamm Jimmy Jamm
Harley Hamm Jimmy Jamm
Grand Lake Casino
￼River Bend Casino
Funniest Female Contest