Even with the dip in temperatures, there is plenty to keep you busy this weekend. Check out our quick lists of events and live entertainment.
1. The Loony Saloon, upstairs at the Stables Casino, welcomes the comedy stylings of co-headliners De’Marrio Oates & Micah Medina Friday and Saturday, Dec. 8 & 9. If the “C” in comedy stood for anything, for Oates it would be criminal. But you don’t have to be a crook to know this guy is funny. Witty as they come, his crowd work and antisocial sense of humor are guaranteed to make anyone laugh. Micah Medina is a comedian from Tulsa sharing his views on marriage, having kids, and life in the Midwest and beyond. A regular performer for Loony Bin Comedy Clubs in Tulsa, Little Rock, Wichita and Oklahoma City he has opened for headliners such as John Evans, Chris Killian, Greg Warren, and Tim Homayoon. Admission for this double headliner is just $10! The show starts at 7:30 p.m. both evenings with an additional performance Saturday at 10 p.m.
2. Enjoy a morning of fellowship with a great meal at the free breakfast hosted by the All Nations UMC, 201 S Maple, Commerce, Saturday, Dec. 9 from 9 to 11 a.m. Biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, juice, milk, and coffee will be served along with giveaways of Christmas gifts and diapers (newborn to size 6). For more information contact Rev. Sharon L. Yeahquo at 1-405-401-0601.
3. The community is invited to a benefit dinner and auction for Haley Chenoweth, who is scheduled this month for a kidney transplant, Saturday, Dec. 9 at the Welch Civic Center, 610 S Curtis St., beginning at 4:30 p.m. Funds raised will help cover expenses while she is recovering in Oklahoma City. Joe Johnson is providing a fish fry dinner including cowboy potatoes, baked beans, hot rolls, dessert, and drink. Hot dogs and chips will also be available. Cost is donation only. The auction starts between 5:30 and 6 p.m.
4. The Peoria Volunteer Fire Department's annual Bean Feed takes place Saturday, Dec 9 following the Christmas parade at 10 a.m. Come on down to the station, 115 W Main, Peoria, for all you can eat beans and cornbread for just $5. Beans not your style? There will also be all you can eat chili, hot dogs, and hamburgers for $5. After you get your fill be sure to stick around for the pie auction, 50/50 pot and a chance for kids to see Sparky the Fire Truck. For more information contact Tammy Hayes at 918-541-5832 or Henry Hayes at 918-533-0995.
5. In theaters this weekend is director Guillermo del Toro’s latest other-world fantasy, “The Shape of Water” rated R and set in a top secret government lab where the lonely Elisa’s (Sally Hawkins) life is changed forever when she and her co-worker Zelda (Octavia Spencer) discover a secret classified experiment; the PG-13 action comedy “Just Getting Started” about an ex-F.B.I. Agent (Tommy Lee Jones) and an ex-mob lawyer (Morgan Freeman) in the Witness Protection Program having to put aside their petty rivalry to fend off a mob hit.
WEEKEND ENTERTAINMENT CALENDAR
Bordertown Casino & Arena
No Current Listings
Cherokee Casino Grove
Earl & Them
Grand Lake Casino
Indigo Sky Casino
Leah & The Mojo Doctors
River Bend Casino (formerly Wyandotte Casino)
Co-Headliners De’Marrio Oates & Micah Medina