Wondering what to do with your weekend? We have you covered with these quick lists of local highlights and live entertainment.
1. Running through the weekend is NEO Theatre Experience 2017 season premiere "The Good Doctor" live at the Commons Hall Theatre Oct. 13-15 with shows at 7 p.m. Friday and 2 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. Free admission for NEO students, faculty, and staff. Tickets are $10 for adults, $5 eighteen years and younger. "The Good Doctor," is a comedy written by Neil Simon, based on a series of short plays by Anton Chekhov. The play received one Tony Award win, and two nominations, including Best Original Score.
2. Saturday and Sunday Miami welcomes the 4 State Slammer Softball Tournament at the Joe Booth Sports Complex Oct. 14-15. Adult tickets prices are $5, kids are $2, and children 6 and under are free. For more information, call Chuck McKibben at 918-542-4435.
3. Pelican Fest continues this weekend Oct. 13-14 at Wolf Creek Park, on 16th Street, in Grove. The annual festival in its 34th year features Pelican Tours, a carnival, arts & crafts, food trucks, a showing of the OU/Texas game and discounted admission into Har-Ber Village Museum Saturday, and live music entertainment. Be sure to check out the article on this page for more details and event pricing and visit grandlakefun.com.
4. Saturday is National Dessert Day, celebrate by making your favorite sweet treat or going out to a restaurant and ordering dessert first! Be sure to check out local favorite Souper Sweets, voted the 2017 Best of the Best for dessert. Located at 29 N Main St. in downtown Miami, the shop is best known for its delicious gourmet cupcakes, but offers plenty more to satisfy your sweet tooth. All that dreamy sweetness will help lighten things up for Sunday, which is National Grouch Day.
5. It is the weekend of the biopic, first with the PG-13 drama “Marshall” about Thurgood Marshall, the first African-American Supreme Court Justice; “Goodbye Christopher Robin” a PG-13-rated look at the life of “Winnie the Pooh” author A.A. Milne and the creation of stories inspired by his son C.R.’s stuffed animal collection.; and “Professor Marston and the Wonder Women” about psychologist and “Wonder Woman” creator William Moulton Marston, his polyamorous relationship with his wife and mistress and the controversy his comic generated. If you rather watch action or horror, check out the PG-13 horror film “Happy Death Day” about a college student forced to relive the day of her murder until she discovers her killer’s identity; and “The Foreigner” rated R and starring Jackie Chan as a businessman with a buried past who seeks justice when his daughter is killed in an act of terrorism.
WEEKEND ENTERTAINMENT CALENDAR
Bordertown Casino & Arena
Rachelle Turner & Georgia Coast
Cherokee Casino Grove
Grand Lake Casino
Indigo Sky Casino
NEO Commons Hall Theatre
NTE presents "The Good Doctor"
￼River Bend Casino (formerly Wyandotte Casino)
Southern Green Band