Check out our lists of what's on tap for local fun and music this weekend.
1. Northeastern Oklahoma A&M College plays host at 6 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 30, to their oldest rivalry south of the Red River as Kilgore (Texas) College visits Red Robertson Field in Miami. After defeating Navarro College, 40-30, last weekend in Corsicana, Texas, the Golden Norse begin a two-game home stand with a 2-2 record.
2. The 2017 Symphony of Hope, featuring the Southeast Kansas Symphony Orchestra and Jose Ortega, will take place at 7 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 30, at Grove's First Baptist Church, 501 East 13th Street, Grove. Tickets are $30 for adults, $15 for students and available at area banks. The event benefits Bridges of Hope, an outreach to help bridge people out of poverty. For more information, persons interested may call 918-257-8484.
3. Downtown Commerce will be the starting point for the 26-mile Mother Road Marathon Sunday, Oct. 1. In addition to the full 26-mile marathon, there also will be a 13-mile half marathon and a 5k run. All events start simultaneously at 7 a.m. The full marathon starts on Commerce Avenue, moves north along Mickey Mantle Blvd. and follows Route 66 through Quapaw, on into Kansas and concludes at the Joplin Athletic Complex, located at 3301 West First Street. The entry fee is $40 for the 5K, $80 for the half marathon and $110 three-state marathon. For more information, go to https://localraces.com/twelveone/the-mother-road-marathon-powered-by-mercy.
4. Grab Fido or Rover and take them for a walk on Sunday to start off National Walk Your Dog Week right! If you don’t own a dog, accompany a friend or volunteer to walk dogs or otherwise help out at the local animal shelter. The Ketcher/Keheley Animal Control Facility is a state-of-the-art animal shelter located at 725 D Street NE on the Truck Route in Miami. The facility is open to the public between 12 p.m. and 4 p.m weekdays, or you can call 918-542-6384 to make an appointment after hours.
5. The big movies opening this week are the biographical crime film “American Made” rated R and about a pilot (Tom Cruise) who lands work for the CIA and as a drug runner during the 1980s; Kiefer Sutherland reprises his role in “Flatliners,” the sequel to the 1990 film about a medical students experimenting with the afterlife.
WEEKEND ENTERTAINMENT CALENDAR
Bordertown Casino & Arena
No Current Listings
Cherokee Casino Grove
No Current Listings
Mayday by Midnight
Grand Lake Casino
Indigo Sky Casino
Donnie Ray Stevens
River Bend Casino (Formerly Wyandotte Casino)
Earl & Them
Neon Circus: Brooks & Dunn Tribute