There is no shortage of local fun this weekend with the start of the Ottawa County Fair and a whole host of other great activities. Check out our quick list of activities and live music at area casinos.
1. The Ottawa County Fair runs Aug. 19-26 at the Miami Fairgrounds, 1129 E St. SW, beginning 9 a.m. Saturday with a tractor driving contest. Carnival opens nightly Tues. through Sat. from 6-10 p.m. with rides and attractions for the whole family. Exhibition Building will be open Wed. through Friday from 4-9 p.m. with extended hours Thursday from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. for Senior Citizen and Kids Day, and Sat. from 1-9 p.m. Be sure to check out our special County Fair section on pages 12-14 for a full schedule of events, more about the fair this year, and open entry categories.
2. The annual Fearless Fern 5K Run and 1 Mile Walk takes place Saturday, Aug. 19 at the Community Crisis Center's Fern Holland Advocacy Center, 118 A St. SE in Miami. Check-in is at 6:30 a.m. and the run/walk begins at 7:30 a.m. You can register in advance at www.getmeout.org or sign up on-site. Costs are $20 for the 5K, $10 for the 1 Mile Run and free for kids 12 and under. There will also be a host of free activities such as face painting and a bounce house to enjoy and a meet and greet with animals from the local shelter.
3. Saturday, Aug. 19 at 7 p.m. is also your opportunity to catch Todd Oliver and Friends at the Coleman Theatre for an evening of comedy, music, and wooden-headed dummies you’ll discover aren’t so dumb after all. Ticket prices for the family friendly show are $15 for adults, $10 for senior citizens and $5 for students and children. To purchase tickets or for more information, call the Coleman at 918-540-2425 or stop by the box office window at 103 N. Main in Miami.
4. Second Chance Pet Rescue volunteers will be hosting two important fund raisers for its non-profit animal rescue. Head over to Grove Aug. 19 to enjoy the 6th Annual Cars for Critters Indoor Car show at the Grove Civic Center from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Admission is free. Then enjoy Barkaritaville, a summer evening party with dinner, live music, and a charity auction at Honey Creek Landing from 6-10 p.m. The event will be catered by The Parrot Steakhouse and Grill. Tickets are $40 per person and may be purchased online at www.doitforthepets.com, the Second Chance Thrift Shop at 220 E. 3rd Street in Grove, The Parrot Steakhouse, or call Theresa Swift at 918-964-0088.
5. The big movies opening this week are “Logan Lucky” PG-13 starring Daniel Craig and Channing Tatum about siblings (Tatum, Riley Keough, and Adam Driver) who attempt to pull off a heist during a NASCAR race; and “The Trip to Spain,” the third in a series of films in which comedians Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon star as fictionalized versions of themselves on a restaurant tour this time in Spain.
WEEKEND ENTERTAINMENT CALENDAR
Bordertown Casino & Arena
Cherokee Casino Grove
Pumpkin Hollow Band
Grand Lake Casino
BC & the Big Rig
Indigo Sky Casino
Bobby D Band
River Bend Casino (Formerly Wyandotte Casino)