We've pulled together five easy ways to make the most of your weekend along with a list of live bands performing at area casinos.
1. There will be a bit of a reprieve this weekend with the heat, but highs will remain in the low 90s. If you're looking for indoor family fun consider a day at the bowling alley. Playland Lanes located at 105 5th Ave. NE in Miami is open noon to midnight on Friday, noon to 11 p.m. on Saturday, and 2 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Sunday. To find out about pricing or special packages and groups call 918-542-5798 or visit http://www.playlandlanes.com.
2. On Friday unwrap your favorite candy bar to celebrate Milk Chocolate Day! The first bar was made in 1875 when Swiss confectioner Daniel Peter and his neighbor Henri Nestlé (yes, the founder of the world-famous food and beverage company) developed the first solid milk chocolate using condensed milk. Today, most milk chocolate is made from milk powder, liquid milk or condensed milk.
3. The big movies opening this weekend are “The Emoji Movie” rated PG, about a multi-expressional emoji who sets out on a journey to become a normal emoji starring the voices talents of TJ Miller, James Corden and Anna Faris and more; “Atomic Blonde” rated R, starring Charlize Theron and James McAvoy about an undercover MI6 agent who is sent to Berlin during the Cold War to investigate a murder and recover a missing list of double agents; and “An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power” a PG rated documentary which picks up a decade after “An Inconvenient Truth” brought climate change into the heart of popular culture and shows just how close we are to a real energy revolution.
4. National Dance Day is on Saturday, and you can get your groove on with live music at area casinos. The day was created to encourage Americans to embrace dance as a fun way to get exercise and fight obesity. Check out this weekend's entertainment calendar below for band listings.
5. While Sunday is officially Paperback Book Day, get a jump on celebrating by borrowing a book from the local library or visiting Chapters located at 31 N Main St, in Miami Friday 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Saturday 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Enjoy gourmet treats and Starbucks specialty drinks as you browse the bookshelves, shop for that one of a kind gift, and visit with friends in the open seating areas.
Bordertown Casino & Arena
July 28 & 29
Curt Hill Band
Cherokee Casino Grove
Jimmy Blythe & Midnight Run Band
Tim Nowell Band
Grand Lake Casino
This Side Up
Indigo Sky Casino
The George Brothers
River Bend Casino
(Formerly Wyandotte Casino)