Listed here are a few firework novelties that can help families celebrate Independence Day while keeping the little ones safe.
Kids of all ages love to light up the Fourth of July night with fireworks. Listed here are a few firework novelties that can help families celebrate while keeping the little ones safe.
“Some of our biggest safety rules: adult supervision over children, use common sense, have water handy and light them in a clear, open space,” suggested William Weimer, vice president of Phantom Fireworks.
1. SPARKLERS with bamboo sticks: Light the tip and fire and sparks come out. They burn for about 45 seconds.
WHY IS IT SAFE? Sparklers with bamboo sticks are safer for kids to use. They are less sharp and cool off more quickly than metal sticks, said Steve Gamble, owner of Pyrocreations.com.
AGE Only children over 12 should handle sparklers.
AVG. PRICE 12 boxes with 8 $8.50
2. PISTOL POPPERS: Pull the trigger, they make a sharp pop and confetti shoots out.
WHY IS IT SAFE? There’s no fire, no lighting of a wick, no explosions. Just make sure the child does not point it at anyone’s face, including his or her own, Gamble said.
AGE Children can use this product with close adult supervision.
AVG. PRICE 36 for $13.25
3. BOOBY TRAPS: Small crackers with a string at each end that creates a sharp pop when pulled.
WHY IS IT SAFE? You don’t have to light it. When the stings are pulled, the friction creates a small cap inside the booby trap to pop.
AGE Safe for school-age children with adult supervision.
AVG. PRICE 72 for $1
4. NOVELTY CARS, TANKS: Place them on the ground and light them. They travel a short distance, shooting out colored sparks, and make a loud noise.
WHY IS IT SAFE? They are considered a fireworks novelty, known as “safe and sane” products in the industry, Weimer said.
AGE “We recommend adults light them and children watch,” Weimer said.
AVG. PRICE $3.80 each
5. GLOW WORMS: You light a pellet and a long snake-like ash results, along with colorful smoke.
WHY IS IT SAFE? No explosions, no gunpowder.
AGE Safe for adults to light, children to watch, Weimer said.
AVG. PRICE 12 boxes with 6 pellets $3.85
For more firework safety guidelines, visit the National Council on Fireworks Safety website, www.fireworksafety.com.