JAY – A Grove man was killed and another injured following an early morning one-vehicle accident on Wednesday, June 21, near New Hope Church in rural Jay.

Delaware County Sheriff Harlan Moore said Shane Russell, 18, was killed and his passenger, Kelton Pair, 18, was injured, after 2001 Ford F150 pickup driven by Russell ran off the right side of the roadway on County Road 630, overturned and struck a tree.

Russell was ejected from the vehicle, which came to rest on its top. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

The pair was transported by Jay Emergency Medical Personnel to INTEGRIS Grove Hospital, where he was treated and released with head and trunk external injuries.

Moore said the two men were driving near the intersection of County Road 630 and 380 at approximately 2 a.m. on Wednesday, June 21, when Deputy Mike Bouziden observed them traveling at a high rate of speed.

Moore said Bouziden, who was on patrol in the area, turned his lights and sirens on, but "never got close enough" to Russell's vehicle because of "the cloud of dirt."

Moore said the Bouziden proceeded north on County Road 630 in pursuit of the vehicle. Approximately a half a mile from the intersection, the deputy came upon the overturned pickup, near a curve in the roadway.

"His intent was to stop the car, but he was not in pursuit - it never got to that point," Moore said.

Moore said members of the Oklahoma Highway Patrol were notified of the incident.

According to the report released by Trooper Micah Gibe, Russell died from massive internal injuries after being ejected approximately 15 feet from the vehicle.

Gibe lists the cause of the collision, as well as the condition of Russell, as "still under investigation." The vehicle was equipped with seatbelts, but neither Russell or Pair were wearing them.

Moore has asked the OHP accident reconstruction team to come to Delaware County to help determine additional information about the crash.

Russell's body has been transported to the Oklahoma Medical Examiner's Office in Tulsa. Moore said it may take up to 90 days to get a complete report, which includes toxicology results, back from the medical examiner.