Summer movie fun, a swinging swap meet, and southern gospel are just a few of the ways to have fun this weekend.
1. The City of Miami’s Department of Tourism and Recreation will host the first of its Summer Movie Night Series at the Civic Center, located at 129 5th Ave., Friday, May 19. Animated feature “Trolls” will be shown, and concessions from J&S Concessions and The Frozen Elephant will be onsite offering meals and treats. Doors at the Civic Center will open at 6:30 p.m. The movie will begin at 7:30 p.m. Cost is $5.00 per family and payment can be made by checks, cash or credit cards on site.
2. Saturday is Armed Forces Day, a day to honor those serving our country in the military. Locally, consider a tour of the newly opened American Legion Post No. 147 Military Museum located at 2129 Denver Harner Drive in Miami. To schedule a free tour or to donate call 918-542-3255. Also check out the official Armed Forces Day site, http://www.defense.gov/afd/, for more information.
3. In the mood for great buys, bartering, food and fun? Head on over to the Afton Poultry Swap this weekend. Spread out on the rolling acreage of the Boyd’s farm located at 53991 East Highway 59 in Afton – the swap is open March through November the 3rd Saturday and Sunday of every month. This Sunday, May 21, marks the 30th-anniversary of the meet and to commemorate the occasion, there will be drawings for prizes at 2 p.m at the Tin Barn. Participants must be present to win. For more information call 918-257-4651 or 918-257-3436 or check out the Afton Poultry Swap on their website at www.aftonpoultryswap.com.
4. The Quapaw Baptist Church invites all to a free southern gospel concert Sunday, May 21 at 6 p.m. featuring Kevin Spencer. Spencer is a southern gospel singer who started singing with his family “The Spencers” when he was three years old. After starting his own group in 1992, Kevin Spencer and Friends, he now is enjoyed by his fans as a soloist. The church is located at 419 Kentucky St., Quapaw. For more information call Pastor Matt Robertson at 918-533-2182. A love offering will be taken.
5. In theaters this weekend is the latest in the Alien prequels (and a sequel to “Prometheus”) “Alien: Covenant” rated R; for more PG fare check out “Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul” about the protagonist’s road trip to attend his grandma’s 90th birthday party goes hilariously off course; and for teens is the PG-13 romantic drama “Everything, Everything” based on the popular Young Adult novel by the same name.