GROVE– A Delaware County man is facing federal firearms charges connected to the June 2016 shooting death of a Monkey Island woman.

On Wednesday, March 8, David Alan Price, 56, following an appearance in Delaware County District Court, was taken into custody by Capt. Gayle Wells, with the Delaware County Sheriff's Office, on a felony firearms warrant.

At the time of his arrest, Price had just appeared before Delaware County District Court Judge Robert Haney, entering a not-guilty plea concerning a single count of being in possession of a firearm after a former felony conviction.

As he exited the courtroom with Wells, Price's attorney, Chad Greer, could be heard admonishing his client not to say a word until they could speak again.

Price was turned over to agents with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, and transported to Tulsa later in the day, where he was expected to appear in federal court.

About the crime

Shortly before midnight on Thursday, June 23, Price called emergency personnel shortly stating he "had accidently shot his girlfriend" at a home on Monkey Island, according to information released at the time of the shooting by Jessica Brown, spokesman for the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigations.

The woman, Natalie Short, was transported by emergency personnel to INTEGRIS Grove Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

Following his arrest, court records indicate Price appeared before Delaware County Special Judge Alicia Littlefield and was given a $10,000 bond. He was released from jail after posting bond on June 29, 2016.

In September 2016, Dr. Cheryl Niblo, with the Oklahoma Medical Examiner's Office, ruled that Short's death was considered a homicide, by means of shotgun wound to the chest.

According to the report, Short's injuries included the shotgun wound to her chest and multiple "blunt impact injuries" to her left earlobe, forehead, cheek, chin and upper abdomen, and right upper arm.

Toxicology reports indicated Short was under the influence of methamphetamine and amphetamine at the time of her death.

Price was never charged with murder in the case, and instead was arrested for being a felon in possession of a firearm after a previous conviction.

At that time, Delaware County District Attorney Kenny Wright deferred making a decision on further charges until the autopsy findings could be reviewed. He said based upon Price's former convictions, he would most likely do jail time based upon being in possession of a firearm at the time of the shooting.

Previous convictions

Court records indicate Price's previous convictions include felony possession of a controlled substance, unlawful possession of drug paraphernalia and a misdemeanor charge of possession/furnish precursor substance, stemming from a 2003 arrest.

He was initially placed in drug court, but records indicate in 2004, he was pulled from that program and sent to the Department of Corrections to serve out his sentence. He was released from DOC custody in October of 2006.