on Jan. 1, Police found Ashley Johnson had died from an apparent overdose of alcohol consumption.
MIAMI – An apparent death from alcohol took the life of a 29 year-old Miami woman. According to a Miami Police Department report written by Officer Andrew Hanson, police were called at approximately 6:09 a.m. on Jan. 1 to an apartment located at 703 3rd Avenue NW in reference to a possible unattended death. Police found Ashley Johnson had died from an apparent overdose of alcohol consumption.
The three other occupants of the apartment, Aaron Benkle, Patrick Manning, and Carrie Campbell told police in written statements that they had all been drinking and that Campbell had helped Johnson to bed around 8:30 p.m.
The witnesses told police Johnson had consumed a significant amount of alcohol and was falling over while she was awake.
After Campbell had taken Johnson to her bed, Campbell told police she had checked on her several times and had rolled her over from her face and onto her back and that she was alive then.
Everyone in the apartment fell asleep, and Campbell was awoken by Benkle, Johnson's fiance, yelling for help saying he couldn't get Johnson awake.
They then called 911.
The Center for Disease Control reports there are 2,200 alcohol poisoning deaths in the U.S. each year, or an average of six alcohol poisoning deaths every day.
Excessive alcohol consumption, especially in short periods of time, is serious and at times deadly and can cause depressed nerve control and involuntary actions such as breathing and the gag reflex which prevents choking. It is common for someone who drank excessive alcohol to vomit since alcohol is an irritant to the stomach. There is then the danger of choking on vomit, which could cause death by asphyxiation in a person who is not conscious because of intoxication.
A person's blood alcohol concentration can continue to rise even while passed out. Even after a person stops drinking, alcohol in the stomach and intestine continues to enter the bloodstream and circulate throughout the body. It is dangerous to assume the person will be fine by sleeping it off.
Despite the risks, more than 38 million U.S. adults report binge drinking an average of four times per month and consume an average of eight drinks per binge, according to the CDC. Binge drinking is defined as consuming four or more drinks for women and five or more drinks for men on an occasion.
Signs of an alcohol overdose include mental confusion, stupor, coma, or the person cannot be roused, vomiting, seizures, slow or irregular breathing and hypothermia, blue skin color or paleness. Anyone exhibiting symptoms or suspected of alcohol overdose must seek medical attention immediately by calling 911.